Association to support people with intellectual disabilities in the Sarajevo Canton “Oasis” (OAZA) was established in October 1960 under the name “City Society for helping mentally retarded persons”.
87 people signed the inaugural list of the Association “Oasis“, mainly parents and professionals. The first seat of the Association “Oasis” was at the Institute Mjedenica, where the Association and worked until 2005. 2002. Association issues a public call for proposal called the Association, and after many submitted proposals, a majority vote of the full name of the Association shall be added to the abbreviated name “Oaza”. (OAZA)
During the 51 years he changed the name of the Association to the Assembly of the Association in 2009 adopted a decision on the current name of the organization, which was confirmed by the Ministry of Justice and Administration of Sarajevo Canton.
By 2005, the Association “Oaza” (OAZA) is used rooms in the Institute Mjedenica, and a room in the high school for vocational education and training, and in September, Novi Grad Sarajevo made a decision on the free transfer of the rooms at Tehran square to number 6, where it is currently located. In these areas have met the requirements for active work with customers and the realization of projects in which provide direct support to people with intellectual disabilities and their families.
Through its history the Association “Oaza” (OAZA) recorded significant activities and results of which are most important:
- campaign to start working with autistic children at the Center Vladimir Nazor;
in the period from 1992 to 1996, is actively involved in collecting humanitarian aid beneficiaries of the Association;
- Sarajevo Canton Government – Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs, Refugees and Displaced Persons recognizes the importance of the Association, and places us in the budget of the Ministry. This decision shall be decisive in the work, and the Association employs the first time a professional person for active work of the Association;
- Association “Oasis” becomes a member of the Coordination Committee of DPOs of the Sarajevo Canton;
- Association “Oasis” together with the Association of Gorazde launches re-work of the Alliance organization to support people with intellectual disabilities FBiH SUMERO;
- Association “Oasis” runs the sports section for people with intellectual disabilities;
- Association “Oasis” becomes a member of the Special Olympics of Bosnia and Herzegovina, which opened the door to users of the Association to participate in national and international competitions;
- launches public campaign, together with other NGOs, entitled “Give us a chance,” where are settled many issues in the field of health, the most important problem that is solved by this campaign is the right to diapers for people with heavy and severe intellectual disability ;
- 2002 launches public campaign, together with other NGOs, entitled “Give us a chance,” where are settled many issues in the field of health, the most important problem that is solved by this campaign is the right to diapers for people with heavy and severe intellectual disability ;
- 2002 in cooperation with the Scottish organization DIRECT AID launches project “Home care for persons with severe and severe intellectual disability”;
- 2003 Association “Oasis” create a database of users, which gives many opportunities, and greatly facilitates the work of the organization;
- 2005 Association “Oasis” starts working and occupational workshops for adults with mild and moderate degree of intellectual disability;
- 2006 Association “Oasis” achieves first contacts with the partner organization FIFH from Malmo, and the cooperation will continue in the years when he converted a project in which reinforced the spatial and human capacities of the “Oasis”;
- Association “Oaza” becomes a member of the coalition “Living without barriers”, where after a training held for drafting the “Action Plan on Disabilities of the Sarajevo Canton”;
- 2009, launching the first project in the field of education called “ease their way into inclusion”;
- Association “Oaza” becomes a member of the coalition “CAN, I WANT, I KNOW”, in which he actively participated in lobbying at a decision on the formation of the Fund for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment of Persons with Disabilities, and making podzankonskih acts in the field of employment and rehabilitation of people with disabilities;
- Association “Oasis” was first implemented curriculum through program activities, which contributed to strengthening the capacity of the organization.
- Association “Oaza” is organized by the largest sports competition for people with intellectual disabilities are entitled SPORT OASIS, on which was attended by over 450 athletes from all over Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- In 2012 Association “Oaza” organizing sports competition called SPORT OASIS for the second time, where an increased number of sports, as well as the number of competitors.
- 2012 – 2013 implemented the project “Analysis of the situation and planning needs of the” Oasis “,” where social workers visited all the families Users Association, completed questionnaires, form a true picture of the state of people with intellectual disabilities, and to create an electronic database.
- 2013 – 2014 Association “Oaza” organized an international competition for people with intellectual disabilities with the participation of a record number of teams and athletes and the competition in addition to teams from Bosnia and Herzegovina teams from Serbia, Croatian, Slovenian, Montenegrin , Macedonia and Sweden.